More Cleaning & Painting

Ink Disk Support Bracket

Ink Disk Support Bracket

I took off the ink disk support bracket, cleaned and painted it. The disk advance lever got the same treatment. As I was working on that, I realized that it is easier to shim the whole bracket up (to make up for the ink disk machining height loss), then to make a bronze disk to put on the disk journal face.

Then I tackled the rear of the press bed (under the ink disk), with those deep pockets formed by the web of reinforcements. That area is a real trap for dirt and junk and is also the place where I have found the worst scaling (likely from the original casting process because it is hard to get in there).

After yet another night of cleaning and painting the rear and sides of the press bed are painted. For a while now I thought the paint I’m using (Tremclad dark blue) was too soft. But I’m changing my mind on that. The first items I painted more than a week ago now are getting harder every day. I was worried about being able to wipe oil of the surface if it stayed relatively soft. And I’m getting used to the colour as well – I thought that it was too light, but it’s nice to be able to see all the parts even when the light is not right on it, and also I’m just getting used to it.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Letterpress

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s