It’s been more than a month since my last post. Not that I have been lazy about this, but making a living comes first, and so the work increments on the press have been smaller – with several weeks of interruptions. Then there was the gib-key fiasco for the pinion gear that I ordered wrong, and had to re-order. Then there was the straight edge that I ordered – and that somewhere during shipment punched a hole through the packaging and escaped into the wild (likely in the back of a UPS truck). That too had to be re-ordered, but now I got it and can finally get to work checking the press bed for straightness.
The last week has been like Christmas. I got packages from the seller of the press, with the feed table (with the cast bracket) and the all important chase. Then I received the mini-furniture cabinet that I bought via Briarpress from a printer in Florida, with a bunch of metal furniture (still waiting on the wood furniture). Ah, and I got an impression counter, not really needed, but why not.
And then there was a two week holiday in the sun and several weeks away up north.
A new resolution to throw out more stuff from the garage, so that I can fit the new stuff in place and make more room for working the press.
A list of what is required to complete the reworking of the press and make it ready to print:
- Finish cleaning and painting
- Polish / straighten press bed
- Check & correct side-rail elevation to press bed
- Check & correct/adjust platen to press-bed distance
- Define motor size and purchase
- Buy and install VFD
- Buy ink rollers & trucks
- Order the first zinc plate with backing
- Buy tympan & pressboard
- Buy cotton paper
- Buy ink
Well that’s it for now…